RIGHT TO ACCURATE INFORMATION

Friday, February 1, 2013

Unrestricted freedom of expression UNESCO, in Article 1 of its Constitution, establishes the need to ensure the "free flow of ideas by word and image" - and right to accurate information. 

When writing, the journalist can say whatever he wants. When describing, he must convey exactly what has happened. If he receives information, he should verify it, because if the news are not credible, the reader or listener receives biased or even false descriptions. 

I insist today on this question and I reiterate this right because in relation with video-communication on the recent demonstration in Bilbao on the moving closer the prisoners not only some journalist (whose name and media I don't like to remember) have given a completely inaccurate and misleading information but they have written nothing true on my own as well. They have invented all, following their ideological hostility and blind compliance with the instructions received. 

I did not attend the protest nor, since then, did I declare a single word in favour of amnesty. Neither did I support the demands of people who apparently attended said protest. Anyone who wants can listen to the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQvaeg80S4k) and verify that it is a shameful distortion and manipulation that has been used by fanatics who think, "If you throw enough mud, something will stick."

What they do is up to them. From my side, “Do they bark?. We go riding”. I will continue working in favour of good journalism. I will continue seeking the application of human rights within a genuinely democratic context. As Quevedo warned, 

"I must not stay silent, no matter that, 
with a finger touching the lips or brow, 
you advise silence or threaten fear." 

Right to accurate information.

0 comments